Re: CFS review

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Aug 29 2007 - 00:18:49 EST

* Al Boldi <a1426z@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> No need for framebuffer. All you need is X using the X.org
> vesa-driver. Then start gears like this:
>
> # gears & gears & gears &
>
> Then lay them out side by side to see the periodic stallings for
> ~10sec.

i just tried something similar (by adding Option "NoDRI" to xorg.conf)
and i'm wondering how it can be smooth on vesa-driver at all. I tested
it on a Core2Duo box and software rendering manages to do about 3 frames
per second. (although glxgears itself thinks it does ~600 fps) If i
start 3 glxgears then they do ~1 frame per second each. This is on
Fedora 7 with xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.3.0.0-9.fc7 and
xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.0.0-4.fc7.

Ingo