Re: Problems with IDE on linux 2.6.22.X

From: Rene Herman
Date: Thu Aug 30 2007 - 17:40:55 EST

On 08/30/2007 11:16 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:

On 8/30/07, Rene Herman <rene.herman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well -- the world where ATA, SCSI, USB, Firewire and what have you are
low-level drivers to a unifying storage layer is under non too obscure
definitions sort of not non-wonderful...

USB / Firewire / FC / iSCSI are all SCSI transports and fit within the
SCSI subsystem by design.

ie. Just like ethernet, DSL, T-1, etc can all carry IP traffic with no
conceptual conflict, many media by design carry SCSI traffic.

The PATA and SATA physical layer typically carry ATA commands and
having them tied into the SCSI stack is an aberration that I hope will
be eliminated some day.

ATAPI is an exception. Not sure where that would end up in a perfect world.

As said, if you make a bit of an effort to view the former SCSI stack as a unified storage midlayer the abberation becomes less abberational (if that's a word).

Real SCSI, the other SCSI transports and ATAPI would just use more of the common mid-layer than P/SATA would. I'd expect the way forward would be to just refactor things until someone notices that drivers/scsi is the wrong place for sd.c and sr.c and moves them to drivers/block or whereever.

Practically, the PATA driver gives me (almost) the same throughput as the old IDE driver does, and given that I need the former SCSI stack _anyway_ for my external USB harddrive, I don't see a pressing need to carry along yet another storage stack for my harddrive.

Rene.