RE: FC - NPIV in 2.6.23-rc2

From: Duane Grigsby
Date: Thu Aug 30 2007 - 19:48:03 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Jacob [mailto:lydianconcepts@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 9:47 AM
To: Seokmann Ju
Cc: Abhishek Kane; linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Linux Driver;
linux-scsi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: FC - NPIV in 2.6.23-rc2

> > some sought of documentation for this, please let me know.
> NPIV is a feature to provide multiple path available on one physical
port and it has implemented based on the multiport ID (MID) capability
on the switch.
> So, you have to have the switch with MID capable on the configuration
to support NPIV, besides the controller.

>> No, if the switch doesn't suport NP-IV, the 24XX f/w will come up in
>> Public Loop mode (FL).
Yes, NPIV is optional, if the switch is NPIV capable then you can create
virtual ports, otherwise it works as it does today. NPIV is a standard
technology that allows sharing a single physical Fabric port (N-port)
among multiple virtual fabric ports. Multiple ID(s) is a HBA feature
that allows multiple virtual Loop ID(s) on a public or private loop
topology.