Re: recent nfs change causes autofs regression

From: Matthias Schniedermeyer
Date: Fri Aug 31 2007 - 04:21:18 EST

> > It's not very conservative to suddenly change default behavior and break
> > autofs mounts. There is not even one kernel message that "_tells_ user why
> > it thinks it's wrong". It just silently fails.
>
> No it doesn't. It reports an error code to the caller. If autofs is
> failing silently, then that is a bug in autofs: mount will report the
> error to the user.

Wrong(tm).

autofs AND mounting at the commandline just say:
mount.nfs: /mnt is already mounted or busy

Which has an actual information value of about 1%.

In my case i moved a nfs exported directory inside another nfs-exported
directory month ago and placed a symlink where the direcotry was (on the
server-side). It never acured to me that that was "wrong"(tm).

Now i can only mount one of the two mounts and the other just tells
"busy".

After reading this i could fix my case easyly. I just erased the
"deeper" mount and symlinked the directory from the other mount.

But YOU HAVE TO KNOW THAT YOU DID SOMETHING WRONG. Just getting a "Busy"
lets you staying with Question-marks flying around you head!

Bis denn