Re: recent nfs change causes autofs regression

From: Jakob Oestergaard
Date: Mon Sep 03 2007 - 09:20:31 EST

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 09:43:29AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> This is *not* a security hole. In order to make it a security hole, you
> need to be root in the first place.

Non-root users can write to places where root might believe they cannot write
because he might be under the mistaken assumption that ro means ro.

I am under the impression that that could have implications in some setups.

> - it's a misfeature that people are used to, and has been around forever.

Sure, they're used it it, but I doubt they are aware of it.

> so I really don't see why people excuse the new behaviour.

We can certainly agree that a nicer fix would be nicer :)

--

/ jakob