Re: hda: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekCompleteError }

From: Sergei Shtylyov
Date: Mon Sep 03 2007 - 09:38:07 EST

Hello.

John Sigler wrote:

When my system boots, I get several set_drive_speed_status errors.
(Please see attached dmesg output.)

Can someone explain what they mean? How do I get rid of them?

IDE code attempts to autotune PIO mode and fails at that because your device is too old (or its manufacturer was too lazy) to support ATA-2 (or EIDE from marketing PoV) is its full glory.

But the data sheet seems to state the drive supports PIO modes 1 and 2?

So what? PIO mode != ATA spec version. ATA-1 specified modes 0 thru 2.

Is there something I need to set in the config? or something I should not have set?

No, it just means that the IDE code is *too young* to support such pre-EIDE devices. :-D

Wow! This is a device that was purchased only a few months ago...

I think we'll take care of it soon -- as I said we've discovered pre-EIDE disk support lately, just before your report...

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
VP_IDE: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:07.1
VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
VP_IDE: VIA vt82c686b (rev 40) IDE UDMA100 controller on pci0000:00:07.1
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xd000-0xd007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xd008-0xd00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
Probing IDE interface ide0...
hda: PQI IDE DiskOnModule, ATA DISK drive
hda: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: set_drive_speed_status: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
hda: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: set_drive_speed_status: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

That means that you've managed to find pre-EIDE/ATA hardware which doesn't support setting arbitrary PIO modes. What's funny is that recently being discussed here, so expect a patch RSN. :-)

In 2.6.23?

Yeah, hopefully.
The mode interesting question is how to diable IORDY throrling on host if a device doesn't have it connected (that was addressed by Alan in libata, IIRC.

Regards.

MBR as well. :-)