Re: "GPL weasels and the atheros stink"

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Sep 05 2007 - 02:06:19 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Jonathan A. George wrote:
... But is it _ethical_ (as opposed to legal) to violate the expressed intent of the original author ...

The author expresses his intent primarily by choice of license text, and it's very important to all of us that we follow the rules set forth by the author in that license text.

I have released software on more on one occasion where I have given a very liberal license (like MIT), and then put a "however, if you like this, X would be appreciated." I wouldn't consider it unethical if someone didn't obey the optional request (it's optional for a reason), however, it does mean that I do genuinely appreciate someone doing X.

So there is a difference between what is legal and ethical, and what is the nice/friendly thing to do.

-hpa