Re: NFS4 authentification / fsuid

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Thu Sep 06 2007 - 20:57:26 EST

On Sep 06, 2007, at 19:35:14, Trond Myklebust wrote:
On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 19:30 -0400, Kyle Moffett wrote:
Actually, that's a fairly simple problem (barring disassembling the system and attaching a hardware debugger). You encrypt the root filesystem and require a password to boot (See: LUKS). Debian has built-in support for installing onto fs-on-LVM-on-crypt- on-RAID, and it works quite well on all the laptops I use regularly. It's not even much of a speed penalty; once you take the overhead of hitting a 5400RPM laptop drive you can chew thousands of cycles of CPU without anybody noticing (much). Then all you have to do is burn a copy of your /boot with bootloader onto some read-only media (like a finalized CDROM/DVDROM) and you're set to go.

Disconnect battery, and watch boot password go 'poof!'.

Umm, I did say "encrypt the root filesystem", didn't I? Booting my laptops this way follows this procedure:
1) Enter BIOS boot menu
2) Insert /boot CDROM
3) Select the "CDROM" entry
4) Wait for kernel to start and run through initramfs
5) Type password into the initramfs prompt so that it can DECRYPT THE ROOT FILESYSTEM
6) Continue to boot the system.

Under this setup, tinkering with my BIOS does virtually nothing; the only avenues of attack are strictly of the "Install a hardware keylogger" variety. Without my "boot" password you are looking at a block device which appears to be little more than a random bit- bucket, using AES-256 encryption. If you can break that by disconnecting the BIOS battery a lot of governments would be very interested in the exact procedure. :-D Furthermore if I think that the hardware has been compromised I can pull out the HDD and my CDROM and take them to a trusted computer to gain access to my data.

That said, a useful BIOS password helps keep somebody from casually setting a supervisor password or mucking with the critical-to-boot settings and making _me_ unplug the battery.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett