Re: [-mm patch] unexport sys_{open,read}

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Mon Sep 10 2007 - 10:15:38 EST

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 02:23:24 -0700
Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would like to see "everyone" explain what we lose by giving
> developers a bit of warning before we break their stuff.

here's the skinny: 99% of the external module developers won't notice
until they're gone, even with the warning. And that's an optimistic
estimate. Warnings don't work for this.

All this kind of thing buys us is an excuse so that we can say "but we
warned you for 3 months". It doesn't actually change anything else.

Maybe I'm too pessimistic in my assumption that external open module
writers don't actually follow mainline closely; and maybe part of me
would love for them to follow it closer, so close that they would even
consider submitting their driver for it. But sadly from experience...
warnings dont' work. Only when things break hard people notice.