Re: [00/41] Large Blocksize Support V7 (adds memmap support)

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Tue Sep 11 2007 - 16:41:29 EST

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Jörn Engel wrote:

> What I'm starting to wonder about is where your approach has advantages
> over Andrea's. The chances of triggering something vaguely similar to
> Nick's worst case scenario are certainly higher for your solution. So
> unless there are other upsides it is just the second-best solution.

Nick's worst case scenario is already at least partially addressed by the
Lumpy Reclaim code in 2.6.23. His examples assume 2.6.22 or earlier
code.

The advantages of this approach over Andreas is basically that the 4k
filesystems still can be used as is. 4k is useful for binaries and for
text processing like used for compiles. Large Page sizes are useful for
file systems that contain large datasets (scientific data, multimedia
stuff, databases) for applications that depend on high I/O throughput.