Re: [linux-usb-devel] Problems with USB disk [solved]

From: Mark Lord
Date: Thu Sep 13 2007 - 10:36:00 EST

Alan Stern wrote:
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007, Mark Lord wrote:

Chuck Ebbert wrote:
..
Oh, nice. The usb-storage (SCSI) disk spins itself down and we can't handle that.
Should we be disabling auto-spindown when we connect the device, or be able to
handle this by sending the start command when needed?
There's more to this.

My Sandisk Cruzer Micro 1GB USB sticks suffer from this regression.

I seriously doubt that. Are you claiming that your USB stick spins itself down during a suspend? And then requires to be spun back up before it will resume proper operation?

No, the machine is not being suspended at all.

What happens is, there's a nice little LED on the Cruzer stick,
that is "lit" when the stick itself is not in a "power suspend" state
(or whatever you USB folks call it).

On 2.6.22, that little LED stays "on" normally, and flickers off/on
when data is being transfered.

The new "USB autosuspend" logic in 2.6.23 now causes that little LED
to turn off after a few seconds of inactivity.

Once that happens, the USB stick is not accessible until after a longish
timeout (~30s I think), followed by a USB reset. Then it is usable again
until the next inactivity timeout and autosuspend (a few seconds).

Etc.