Re: sata_nv issues with MCP51 SATA controller

From: Jon Ivar Rykkelid
Date: Thu Sep 13 2007 - 14:01:48 EST

Resending, as my first attempts contained HTML and was blocked...

Tejun Heo wrote:
Jon Ivar Rykkelid wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but sata_nv is not built modular in my
current kernel, so "no can do" at the moment
(However, if some expert REALLY thinks this will fix things, I will
CERTAINLY recompile and give it a go)

Passing "sata_nv.adma=0" as kernel boot parameter will do the trick.

Ahh, silly me... Of course!
Ooops, I just got back, and verified: I actually have sata_nv running as a module after all on this server... My bad.
I fixed /etc/modprobe.conf to include the following two lines:
"
alias scsi_hostadapter sata_nv
options sata_nv adma=0
"

I then ran "mkinitrd" (to ensure that the latest options from modprobe.conf were included) in the initrd-image that I load at boot.

- Do you guys think this is worth a try? Anyway, I have rebooted now, so I'll test it for a few days and let you know - We'll just have to wait and see...
Do you think I should re-enable SMART to provoke a failure, or would that be to tempt fate too much? (For now I have not re-enabled SMART)

PS: Is there any way of testing / verifying that sata_nv is now running with this option? - I am pretty sure I have done it correctly, but I would still like to confirm that the proper option has been passed if possible.

Thanks
Jon Ivar