Re: [00/41] Large Blocksize Support V7 (adds memmap support)

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Fri Sep 14 2007 - 08:42:07 EST

On Thursday 13 September 2007 12:01, Nick Piggin wrote:
> On Thursday 13 September 2007 23:03, David Chinner wrote:
> > Then just do operations on directories with lots of files in them
> > (tens of thousands). Every directory operation will require at
> > least one vmap in this situation - e.g. a traversal will result in
> > lots and lots of blocks being read that will require vmap() for every
> > directory block read from disk and an unmap almost immediately
> > afterwards when the reference is dropped....
>
> Ah, wow, thanks: I can reproduce it.

OK, the vunmap batching code wipes your TLB flushing and IPIs off
the table. Diffstat below, but the TLB portions are here (besides that
_everything_ is probably lower due to less TLB misses caused by the
TLB flushing):

-170 -99.4% sn2_send_IPI
-343 -100.0% sn_send_IPI_phys
-17911 -99.9% smp_call_function

Total performance went up by 30% on a 64-way system (248 seconds to
172 seconds to run parallel finds over different huge directories).

23012 54790.5% _read_lock
9427 329.0% __get_vm_area_node
5792 0.0% __find_vm_area
1590 53000.0% __vunmap
107 26.0% _spin_lock
74 119.4% _xfs_buf_find
58 0.0% __unmap_kernel_range
53 36.6% kmem_zone_alloc
-129 -100.0% pio_phys_write_mmr
-144 -100.0% unmap_kernel_range
-170 -99.4% sn2_send_IPI
-233 -59.1% kfree
-266 -100.0% find_next_bit
-343 -100.0% sn_send_IPI_phys
-564 -19.9% xfs_iget_core
-1946 -100.0% remove_vm_area
-17911 -99.9% smp_call_function
-62726 -7.2% _write_lock
-438360 -64.2% default_idle
-482631 -30.4% total

Next I have some patches to scale the vmap locks and data
structures better, but they're not quite ready yet. This looks like it
should result in a further speedup of several times when combined
with the TLB flushing reductions here...