Re: [announce] CFS-devel, performance improvements

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Fri Sep 14 2007 - 13:55:25 EST

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 03:10:47PM +0200, Roman Zippel wrote:
> Hi,
> Getting credit is indeed not really that important to me, but apparently
> some lousy credit notes is the only way to get any kind of
> acknowledgement.

Acknowledgement has always been one of the kernel's weaknesses it seems,
given the recent issues on other subjects. But it's not always easy either,
especially when you just change sparse parts of code based on someone else's
analysis. I personally do credit people in the GIT changelogs for their ideas
or patches, but that does not appear in the code.

> I want to get more attention, but not in a way you suspect. I don't think
> that a mouse is a really good analogy, is he really that defenseless?

I don't know. But I observe that you're very efficient at building the road
you want him to walk on.

> All I want is to be taken a bit more seriously, the communication aspect I
> mentioned is really important. From my perspective Ingo is somewhere up on
> his pedestal and I have to scream to get any kind of attention.

In my opinion, you're screaming in a language he does not understand, and
when he proposes random responses, you don't understand them either. That
game can last very long. You want to speak maths, he cannot. He wants to
speak patches, you cannot. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but
I know for sure that the common language here on LKML is patches. So my
conclusion is that you need someone to act as a translator when you want
to communicate here. It should be a very hard work, BTW!

> I skip the rest of the mail, it's one big attempt trying to prove that I'm
> dishonest, but you only look at the issue from one side and thus making it
> yourself very easy.

Maybe there was a very prominent side then. I might be wrong in my analysis,
but I cannot find any other interpretation, there are too many coincidences,
and I don't believe in that, especially from smart people ;-)

Willy