Re: crashme fault

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Sun Sep 16 2007 - 11:53:37 EST

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 10:21:51PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> I run almost-daily kernel testing. I haven't seen 'crashme' cause a
> kernel fault until today, and now I've seen it twice on 2.6.23-rc6-git2,

Did the room temperature change in the server room? ;) Those early
EM64T P4 core based are fast but they suck a whole lot of power. It
seems a bitflip in a cpu register. You can use cpufreq to set low
frequency (they should support it, and they shouldn't use more than
100w per core that way) to lower the temp, and see if the problem goes
away. If it's a software issue it will hopefully be still reproducible
with ~2ghz instead of 3.4ghz.