Re: 2.6.22.1: Enabling IO-APIC = APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Mon Sep 17 2007 - 09:11:03 EST

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007, Konstantin Sharlaimov wrote:

I am experiencing the similar problem on my Acer Aspire 5000 laptop -
once in a while a bunch of "APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)" messages are
showing up in dmesg.

After few experiments and a lot of googling, I identified a cause - it
was my built-in wireless card! Disabling IO-APIC helped, besides a
single "Spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7" message while booting up there
was nothing unusual.

A did some further experiments on various hardware and from my
experience I can tell that "APIC error" messages are entirely hardware
related.

Regards,
Konstantin

Thanks for the follow-up, yeah its probably one of the Promise
controllers or some such that is causing the problem, although I
remmeber I used to get the error with only the motherboard, memory and
video card, something tells me that MSI board with (SiS) chipset is
not quite supported in Linux with APIC enabled.

Justin.