Re: Wasting our Freedom

From: Jason Dixon
Date: Mon Sep 17 2007 - 09:34:19 EST

On Sep 17, 2007, at 9:27 AM, Sean <seanlkml@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:15:31 -0400
Jason Dixon <jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sure it does. My code under BSD license continues to remain free,
regardless of what Company X(1) does with their *copy* of my code.
The only restrictions on my code is that copyright and attribution
must remain intact. All users of my code have the same rights,
regardless of what Company X does with their *copy*.

The GPL places additional restrictions on code. It is therefore less
free than the BSD.

Free code + restrictions = non-free code.

(1) GPL advocates deep-down really like the BSD license.
Unfortunately, they keep getting hung up on the idea of the Evil
Corporation (TM) "stealing" my code. Nobody has stolen anything.
That corporation is entitled to the same rights as Joe User. Neither
EC or JU are required to redistribute any of their changes to their
*copy* of my code. They are only required to keep attribution
intact. Does that make MY CODE any less free? OF COURSE NOT!

Your post is incredibly ironic considering how up in arms all the
BSD folks are right now. Many of them claiming that their code
is being "stolen".

They did not KEEP ATTRIBUTION INTACT.

---
Jason Dixon