Re: VM/VFS bug with large amount of memory and file systems?

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Mon Sep 17 2007 - 16:47:40 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 13:11:14 -0400
Rik van Riel <riel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

IIRC I simply kept a list of all buffer heads and walked
that to reclaim pages when the number of buffer heads is
too high (and we need memory). This list can be maintained
in places where we already hold the lock for the buffer head
freelist, so there should be no additional locking overhead
(again, IIRC).

Christoph's slab defragmentation code should permit us to fix this:
grab a page of buffer_heads off the slab lists, trylock the page,
strip the buffer_heads. I think that would be a better approach
if we can get it going because it's more general.

Is the slab defragmentation code in -mm or upstream already
or can I find it on the mailing list?

I've implemented code like you describe already, just give me
a few days to become familiar with the slab defragmentation
code and I'll get you a patch.

--
Politics is the struggle between those who want to make their country
the best in the world, and those who believe it already is. Each group