Re: [00/41] Large Blocksize Support V7 (adds memmap support)

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Tue Sep 18 2007 - 15:19:18 EST

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 11:30:17AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> The fact is, *none* of those things are true. The VM doesn't guarantee
> anything, and is already very much about statistics in many places. You

Many? I can't recall anything besides PF_MEMALLOC and the decision
that the VM is oom. Those are the only two gray areas... the safety
margin is large enough that nobody notices the lack of black-and-white
solution.

So instead of working to provide guarantees for the above two gray
spots, we're making everything weaker, that's the wrong direction as
far as I can tell, especially if we're going to mess up big time the
commo code in a backwards way only for those few users of those few
I/O devices out there.

In general every time reliability has a low priority than performance
I've an hard time to enjoy it.