Re: [Patch 1/2] Trace code and documentation (updated)

From: Randy Dunlap
Date: Wed Sep 19 2007 - 14:37:40 EST

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:20:18 +0100 Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 07:14:47AM -0700, David Wilder wrote:
> > I agree with you; however, this is in the example code in the
> > Documentation directory, It is not part of the trace code. The example
> > was just meant to be a demonstration of how the interface works.
>
> So we tell people to write bad code? Wonderful..
>
> And while we're at it can we please stop the dumb idea to put example
> code into Documentation? If example code doesn't get build during a
> make oldconfig it will bitrot real fast and not be useful at all.

That's why they exmaples should not be hidden/embedded in .txt files;
they should be standalone .c files with makefiles etc.

I've built and corrected several of them, but they would be more
likely to be kept up-to-date if they are more available in standalone
files.

and they can be taken out of Documentation/ whenever they go into
util-linux-ng or elsewhere. Let's get the order correct.

---
~Randy