Re: 2.6.23-rc6-mm1: failure to boot on HP nx6325, no sound whenbooted, USB-related WARNING

From: Thomas Gleixner
Date: Thu Sep 20 2007 - 02:19:06 EST

On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 02:06 +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > Nope. It's a total disaster. :-(
> >
> > True. I have instrumented it to the point where the broadcast device is
> > programmed, but no interrupt comes in for totally unknown reasons.
> >
> > > Doesn't boot at all, even with "noacpitimer nohpet", and that's with
> > > NO_HZ and HIGH_RES_TIMERS unset.
> >
> > > If you have a bisectable patch series, I can try to identify the responsible
> > > patch.
> >
> > http://tglx.de/projects/hrtimers/2.6.23-rc6/patch-2.6.23-rc6-hrt2.patches.tar.bz2
> >
> > The first patches in the queue are the mainline fixups.
>
> It's x86_64-convert-to-clockevents.patch (ie. after applying it the box stops
> to boot).
>
> I haven't had the time to check if any special command line arguments help.
> Will check tomorrow.

Can you please disable the patches, which I sent Linus wards:

timekeeping-access-rtc-outside-xtime-lock.patch
xtime-supsend-resume-fixup.patch
acpi-reevaluate-c-p-t-states.patch
clockevents-enforce-broadcast-on-resume.patch
clockevents-do-not-shutdown-broadcast-device-in-oneshot-mode.patch
clockevents-prevent-stale-tick-update-on-offline-cpu.patch

Without those patches you get the state of rc4-mm1. It would be
interesting to know which one interferes with the acpi stuff.

tglx