Re: 2.6.23-rc6: S4 and S5 no longer listed as supported on Toshiba Satellite A40

From: Frans Pop
Date: Thu Sep 20 2007 - 17:18:57 EST

On Thursday 20 September 2007, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Thursday 20 September 2007, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > >
> > > Don't think it is worth the trouble. We already have this loop almost
> > > completely unrolled, let's not make it complete mess...
> >
> > Well, you could use "(supports S0" instead of just "(supports". ;-)
>
> After thinking about this a bit more, I think this does make sense for
> three (admittedly minor) reasons:
> - consistency between messages with and without CONFIG_SUSPEND
> - consistency with /proc/acpi/sleep
> - avoiding unnecessary change from previous versions.

One additional reason...

With current code, sleep_states(0) will not be set if compiled without
CONFIG_SUSPEND, which means that S0 will also disappear from
/proc/acpi/sleep. With pre-2.6.23 code it would be listed there.

I think that is even a more relevant change than the display issue and could
possibly even be considered a user-space interface regression.
My proposed patch fixes that too.

Note that the patch currently does not call acpi_get_sleep_type_data for S0,
but (partially from Rafael's comment) I was assuming that for S0 that does
not really matter. If it does, then the patch could easily be adjusted to
include that.