Re: [patch 3/5] VFS: pass open file to ->xattr()

From: Andreas Dilger
Date: Fri Sep 21 2007 - 14:43:50 EST

On Sep 21, 2007 16:59 +0200, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> What I'm saying is that read and write are _no_more_ related to the
> file than fstat. Read/write operate on inode data, fstat operates on
> inode metadata.

The read and write operations are DEFINITELY related to the file descriptor
because of f_pos. Each process opening the same file can have a different
f_pos so read/write will work in different locations of the file.

In contrast getattr and getxattr operate on the single inode and you don't
get e.g. a different i_size or i_uid or i_gid depending on who opened a
file, nor is the xattr different.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger