Re: RFC: A revised timerfd API

From: Michael Kerrisk
Date: Sat Sep 22 2007 - 12:07:31 EST

Hello Bernd,

Please don't trim the CC list when replying! I nearly did not see
your reply, and others will have missed it also.

On 9/22/07, Bernd Eckenfels <ecki@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <46F514C9.5010208@xxxxxxx> you wrote:
> > 1. This design stretches the POSIX timers API in strange
> > ways.
>
> Maybe it is possible to reimplement the POSIX API in usermode using the
> kernel's FD implementation?

It's a clever idea... Without thinking on it too long, I'm not sure
whether or not there might be some details which would make this
difficult.

> (and drop the posix support from kernel)

However we couldn't drop POSIX support from the kernel, because that
would break the ABI.

Cheers,

Michael