Re: Man page for revised timerfd API

From: Michael Kerrisk
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 17:13:54 EST

Hi Davide,

> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, Michael Kerrisk wrote:
>
> > .TH TIMERFD_CREATE 2 2007-09-26 Linux "Linux Programmer's Manual"
> > .SH NAME
> > timerfd_create, timerfd_settime, timer_gettime \-
> > timers that notify via file descriptors
> > .SH SYNOPSIS
> > .\" FIXME . This header file may well change
> > .\" FIXME . Probably _GNU_SOURCE will be required
> > .\" FIXME . May require: Link with \fI\-lrt\f
> > .nf
> > .B #include <sys/timerfd.h>
> > .sp
> > .BI "int timerfd_create(int " clockid );
> > .sp
> > .BI "int timerfd_settime(int " fd ", int " flags ,
> > .BI " const struct itimerspec *" new_value ,
> > .BI " struct itimerspec *" curr_value );
> > .sp
> > .BI "int timerfd_gettime(int " fd ", struct itimerspec *" curr_value );
> > .fi
> > .SH DESCRIPTION
> > These system calls create and operate on a timer
> > that delivers timer expiration notifications via a file descriptor.
> > They provide an alternative to the use of
> > .BR setitimer (2)
> > or
> > .BR timer_create (3),
> > with the advantage that the file descriptor may be monitored by
> > .BR poll (2)
> > and
> > .BR select (2).
>
> epoll, no?

Yes, I suppose I should add it too -- I was trying to keep the
text short was all.

[...]

And thanks for checking the other parts.

> BTW: We need to re-look over the signalfd man page, since Linus, in an
> unexpected move, merged the simplification patch :)

Yep, I'll have the page to you in a few days.

Cheers,

Michael
--
Michael Kerrisk
maintainer of Linux man pages Sections 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7

Want to help with man page maintenance?
Grab the latest tarball at
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/manpages ,
read the HOWTOHELP file and grep the source
files for 'FIXME'.