Re: Stardom SATA HSM violation

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Sep 27 2007 - 19:42:49 EST

Tejun Heo wrote:
Alan Cox wrote:
I think there have been enough cases where this draining was necessary.
IIRC, ata_piix was involved in those cases, right? If so, can you
please submit a patch which applies this only to affected controllers?
I don't feel too confident about applying this to all SFF controllers.
Old IDE does it on all controllers bar a couple. So we have a very good
knowledge of what does/doesn't work. The one that needs care in old ide
is an ordering issue where a state machine reset done first causes the
drain of the I/O to hang.

Hmmm... So, do we apply draining to all PATA? Or is ata_piix SATA
affected too?

I would think all SFF controllers, since a lot of first gen SATA are really bridged solutions. If they are flagging DRQ, I say oblige them :)

Jeff