iwl4965 and driver merging policy

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Thu Sep 27 2007 - 21:40:29 EST

Hi !

Just a little question in the light of the discussion we had at Kernel
Summit about merging drivers upstream (and here, I strongly agree with
Linus, hence my message).

I just got that new T61 laptop which happens to have an iwl4xxx chip.
The distro I installed on it (ubuntu) has a driver for it. I suspect
others do too and most users get it from some random external tree and
use it.

Thus my question, why are we about to release 2.6.23 without it ?

It doesn't seem to pull any depedency nor affect any other external
piece of code unless I'm missing something, so it's a perfect example of
what we've been discussing back then: there is just no point not merging
it at any time right ? :-)

Cheers,
Ben.