Re: [15/17] SLUB: Support virtual fallback via SLAB_VFALLBACK

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Mon Oct 01 2007 - 17:39:15 EST

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Do slab and slub use the same underlying page size for each slab?

SLAB cannot pack objects as dense as SLUB and they have different
algorithm to make the choice of order. Thus the number of objects per slab
may vary between SLAB and SLUB and therefore also the choice of order to
store these objects.

> Single data point: the CONFIG_SLAB boxes which I have access to here are
> using order-0 for radix_tree_node, so they won't be failing in the way in
> which Peter's machine is.

Upstream SLUB uses order 0 allocations for the radix tree. MM varies
because the use of higher order allocs is more loose if the mobility
algorithms are found to be active:

2.6.23-rc8:

Name Objects Objsize Space Slabs/Part/Cpu O/S O %Fr %Ef Flg\
radix_tree_node 14281 552 9.9M 2432/948/1 7 0 38 79