Re: [15/17] SLUB: Support virtual fallback via SLAB_VFALLBACK

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Oct 02 2007 - 21:09:21 EST

On Tuesday 02 October 2007 07:01, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Sep 2007, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 11:20 -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> > > Really? That means we can no longer even allocate stacks for forking.
> >
> > I think I'm running with 4k stacks...
>
> 4k stacks will never fly on an SGI x86_64 NUMA configuration given the
> additional data that may be kept on the stack. We are currently
> considering to go from 8k to 16k (or even 32k) to make things work. So
> having the ability to put the stacks in vmalloc space may be something to
> look at.

i386 and x86-64 already used 8K stacks for years and they have never
really been much problem before.

They only started failing when contiguous memory is getting used up
by other things, _even with_ those anti-frag patches in there.

Bottom line is that you do not use higher order allocations when you do
not need them.