Re: [mm] Better help needed for UEVENT_HELPER_PATH

From: Kay Sievers
Date: Wed Oct 03 2007 - 07:50:19 EST

On 9/28/07, Frans Pop <elendil@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Current help for CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH is:
> Path to uevent helper program forked by the kernel for
> every uevent.
> With default value of /sbin/hotplug.
>
> Help! I don't have /sbin/hotplug (Debian unstable, using udev).
> What do I do now? Will my hardware be unsupported because I don't have
> /sbin/hotplug?

Nothing has changed, it's just configurable now for setups which don't
use the "fork-bomb" anymore.

> Should I leave it at the default? Make it empty? Or do I need to replace
> hotplug by some other magic command?

Do nothing, leave it at the default value, if you are unsure about
your setup. If your system works without it, you save a few cycles at
bootup.

> Please extend the help text to give some context and indication of how to
> use this option.

We can't really tell, it entirely depends on the distro, setup, udev
integration, initramfs. Old initramfs setups might need it, even on a
udev system without any /sbin/hotplug like stuff installed. You would
need to look in your initramfs image if it contains a /sbin/hotplug.

Thanks,
Kay