Re: top displaying 9999% CPU usage

From: Alexander E. Patrakov
Date: Wed Oct 03 2007 - 09:06:31 EST

Frans Pop wrote:
I saw top occasionally displaying 9999% CPU usage for a process. The
first few times it was amarokapp, this last time it was kontact.
Both applications were basically idle.
The "cc1" is a kernel compile (rc9 + CFS :-).

I cannot remember seeing this before, but as I also don't run top that
frequently I cannot be sure its a recent regression.

Try to capture the i/o log with the following command:

strace -o top.log top

This will show for sure whether the kernel gives out incorrect data or top misinterprets them.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov