Re: [NFS] What's slated for inclusion in 2.6.24-rc1 from the NFSclient git tree...

From: Pierre Ossman
Date: Fri Oct 05 2007 - 13:54:50 EST

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 13:36:19 -0400
Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 08:25 +0200, Pierre Ossman wrote:
>
> > Print a warning or something so that they can be found. Don't go
> > breaking systems left and right. People have better things to do
> > than to fix the build systems for ever program they use.
>
> The kernel knows bugger all about what glibc function your program is
> calling. The problem here is precisely that newer versions of glibc
> will transform legacy 32-bit stat() calls into 64-bit stat64() calls,
> then will complain when the result overflows.

Right, I didn't suggest that this had to be done in the kernel. My
point was that first you mark something as deprecated, make a lot of
noise when someone uses it so that problems can be identified, and some
time later you remove it. You don't just remove it and let production
systems deal with the fallout.

Rgds
--
-- Pierre Ossman