Re: [NFS] What's slated for inclusion in 2.6.24-rc1 from the NFSclient git tree...

From: Jeff Layton
Date: Fri Oct 05 2007 - 14:01:44 EST

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 13:30:10 -0400
Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

> How does Joe Sysadmin tell if he has an affected legacy app or not?
>
> (The obvious "try it and see what breaks" is a non-starter for many places,
> because you too easily end up in a loop of "enable it, find 4-5 show stoppers,
> turn it off, fix them, lather rinse repease". Been there, done that, got
> the tshirt - a project I got dragged into involves a large storage array that
> appears to insist on exporting 64-bit stuff, and a large farm of clients that
> are very 64-bit unclean....)

In addition to Trond's suggestion, you might be able to use "nm" or
something like it and see if there are references to non-LFS (f)stat
calls in your binaries. For instance, if you see references to stat()
(and not stat64()), then the app is probably not built with 64-bit file
offsets.

This is probably not as reliable as Trond's method, but it might be
less invasive and reasonable for a first pass when looking for these
sorts of apps...

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>