Re: msync(2) bug(?), returns AOP_WRITEPAGE_ACTIVATE to userland

From: Ryan Finnie
Date: Sun Oct 07 2007 - 21:59:14 EST

On 10/7/07, Pekka J Enberg <penberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/7/07, Erez Zadok <ezk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Anyway, some Ubuntu users of Unionfs reported that msync(2) sometimes
> > returns AOP_WRITEPAGE_ACTIVATE (decimal 524288) back to userland.
> > Therefore, some user programs fail, esp. if they're written such as
> > this:

> It's a kernel bug. AOP_WRITEPAGE_ACTIVATE is a hint to the VM to avoid
> writeback of the page in the near future. I wonder if it's enough that we
> change the return value to zero from
> mm/page-writeback.c:write_cache_pages() in case we hit AOP_WRITEPAGE_ACTIVE...

Doesn't appear to be enough. I can't figure out why (since it appears
write_cache_pages bubbles up directly to sys_msync), but with that
patch applied, in my test case[1], msync returns -1 EIO. However,
with the exact same kernel without that patch applied, msync returns
524288 (AOP_WRITEPAGE_ACTIVATE). But as your patch specifically flips
524288 to 0, I can't figure out how it eventually returns -1 EIO.

Ryan

[1] "apt-get check" on a unionfs2 mount backed by tmpfs over cdrom,
standard livecd setup