RE: Aggregation in embedded context, is kernel GPL2prejudiceagainst embedded systems?

From: Crane, Matthew
Date: Thu Oct 11 2007 - 12:50:45 EST

Hi,

So really, the only way for a company to know if they are ok would be to
sue themselves in a test case and force the issue. This would at least
set some precedent and help remove some of the FUD around the issue. I
have no idea about the details, but it seems that those groups who have
pursued GPL cases may have avoided setting precedents lest it reduce the
grayness. I can easily imagine constructing a generic system that can
be used as a solid test and provide technical and legal reference for
others, once it has been ruled on in one or more courts.

Matt