Re: linux-2.6.23 - acting funny

From: poison
Date: Sun Oct 14 2007 - 16:55:33 EST

Hi and thanks for your reply :)

On Friday 12 October 2007, you wrote:
> i have no quick ideas - the behavior you are seeing is quite unexpected.
> Could you try the current sched-devel code:
>

> http://redhat.com/~mingo/cfs-scheduler/devel/sched-devel-combo-v2.6.23.patc
Maybe I messed something up. I first applied that patch and tested. Then
reversed the patch with patch -R ... but in both cases the output of the
cfs-debug-info script contained:
Sched Debug Version: v0.05-v20

> since this version of CFS does various things differently then the one
> in v2.6.23, lets see whether perturbing it makes any difference to your
> throughput.
Without Hog: ~15MB/s
With Hog: ~19/MBs

> you could also try the scheduler backport to v2.6.22.10, at:
>
> http://redhat.com/~mingo/cfs-scheduler/
with sched-cfs-v2.6.22.9-v22.patch applied to 2.6.22.10 (I didn't spot one for
2.6.22.10):
Without Hog: ~14MB/s
With Hog: ~19MB/s

> that would establish whether it's the changes in scheduling that cause
> this or something else. Plus please enable CONFIG_SCHED_DEBUG and
> CONFIG_SCHEDSTATS and run this debug script while such a transfer is
> going on:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/cfs-scheduler/tools/cfs-debug-info.sh
>
> and send me the resulting file.
I created one for each tested kernel with
$ while true; do echo test>/dev/null; done
running and without.

I'll send you the files in private.
Thanks for your time.

Regards,