Re: [git patches] IDE updates (part 1)

From: Maciej W. Rozycki
Date: Mon Oct 15 2007 - 12:30:43 EST

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

> > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SWARM disabled by default -- that should probably be
> > changed; I'll cook a patch). I guess it is not possible to make everyone
> > happy at once though, so please do not treat it as a hard objection. :-)
>
> Hmm, it also seems that CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC=y may be removed now because
> IDE SWARM host driver does the probing itself?

I do not think it should have relied on it in any way or otherwise
"select" should have been used. I recall confusion around this driver and
even recently some breakage happened as a result of some fiddling with
include/asm-mips/mach-generic/ide.h and the fact this platform is
legacy-free -- there is nothing decoding subtractively on the PCI bus (no
south bridge of any kind) and blind pokes at presumed ISA addresses result
in bus error exceptions.

I'll have a look at it in due course.

Maciej