Re: What still uses the block layer?

From: david
Date: Tue Oct 16 2007 - 00:12:03 EST

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 07:54:22PM -0700, david@xxxxxxx wrote:
do PCI devices reorder their bus numbers spontaniously, or only if you
change the hardware?

The only system I've had that reordered PCI bus numbers was when I had a
partitionable system and changed the partitioning. Not quite "change
the hardware", but neither was it "spontaneous". It was certainly
unexpected (for me).

Ok, I would class that as the equivalent of 'changing the hardware'.

Greg probably has quite different examples.

I would definantly be interested in hearing some of them. Greg's comment makes it sound like this is something that (with modern hardware) could happen to anyone at any time (which, if true, would be sufficiant to require 'best effort' nameing of devices for everything), while my experiance is that if the hardware is static (i.e. you don't plugin or unplug PCI devices) the numbering of exisitng PCI devices and buses is static. and while I understand that consumer distros want to have everything 'best effort' named to make it easier for users, I disagree that this should force everyone to use 'best effort' when there are many situations where it's unnessasary overhead and chances for errors.

David Lang