Re: [bug] block subsystem related crash with latest -git

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Oct 17 2007 - 12:53:14 EST

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> Jens, just got this crash on a testbox:

The code in question is:

mov %edx,0xc(%esp)
mov (%ebx),%edi
mov %edi,%edx
sub %eax,%edx
mov %edx,%eax
sar $0x5,%eax
shl $0xc,%eax
add 0x8(%ebx),%eax
cmp %eax,0xc(%esp)
je +126
mov 0x10(%esi),%eax <----- Oops
lea 0x10(%esi),%edx
test $0x1,%al
jne +76
mov %edi,(%esi)
mov %ebp,0xc(%esi)
mov 0x8(%ebx),%eax
mov %eax,0x4(%esi)

and it looks like %esi is overflowing from one page to the next one, ie:

BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 7ca76000
ESI: 7ca75ff0

and you caught this thanks to page-alloc debugging again.

I think I can match that up with the source code: that's "sg_next()". It's
doing:

sg++;

if (unlikely(sg_is_chain(sg)))
sg = sg_chain_ptr(sg);

return sg;

and the oopsing instruction is that load of "sg->page" in the assembly
code:

mov 0x10(%esi),%eax # %eax = sg->page
lea 0x10(%esi),%edx # %edx = sg+1;
test $0x1,%al # if (unlikely(sg_is_chain()))
jne +76

Jens?

Linus