Re: [Linux-usb-users] OHCI root_port_reset() deadly loop...

From: David Miller
Date: Wed Oct 17 2007 - 19:03:33 EST

From: Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 11:51:57 -0400 (EDT)

> > + break;
> > + }
> > + if (limit_1 < 0) {
> > + ohci_warn(ohci, "Root port outer-loop reset timeout, "
> > + "now[%04x] reset_done[%04x]\n",
> > + now, reset_done);
> > + }
>
> What reason is there for having two warning messages? One ought to be
> enough.

In my patch it was possible for the inner loop one to succeed, but the
outer one to not do so.

In your's this is not the case so I guess it's OK.

I wonder if it's so wise trying to do two things at once. Here we are
adding the loop timeouts, and also changing to using jiffies based
timeouts rather than a chip timer register based one.

I preferred my patches because it solved one single problem, the lack
of loop limits. The timeout mechanism could have been changed in
another followon patch.