Re: [bug] ata subsystem related crash with latest -git

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Oct 18 2007 - 01:46:08 EST

Mark Lord wrote:
Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Mark Lord wrote:
It would be good to have something soon-ish.
This "dead at boot time" issue is impacting the general ability to test
patches against latest -git in time for the current merge window.

In the meantime, does the patch I sent out help people?

Your patch from this posting http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/10/17/285
does not seem to make much difference here.

It still crashes at exactly the same place.

However, Jens's patch from that same thread:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/10/17/269

..allowed me to boot and post this followup message from -git12

Jeff: try that one.

That's already in my upstream kernel, here. commits
ba951841ceb7fa5b06ad48caa5270cc2ae17941e and a3bec5c5aea0da263111c4d8f8eabc1f8560d7bf.

sata_mv and sata_nv still reliably poop themselves here, whereas its rock solid with 2.6.23.1. Sounds like different issues from yours, as I see a stream of SATA errors on the bad kernels, errors which are often a symptom of something whacked in the DMA engine (misprogramming causes the silicon to generate bogus FIS's, which the device then chokes on)

Jeff