Re: Inquiry data and emulated SG devices

From: Mathieu Fluhr
Date: Thu Oct 18 2007 - 08:46:18 EST

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 08:13 -0400, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 13:57 +0200, Mathieu Fluhr wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 06:06 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> >
> > > The SCSI midlayer makes a lot of "if scsi version <= 2" choices. In the
> > > case of ATAPI, we do not want to force ATAPI down the path of ancient
> > > SCSI devices, as this disables some MMC features that modern ATAPI
> > > devices support.
> >
> > If I fully understand your point, if this faking code wasn't present,
> > and if the inquiry data was left as it is, all modern ATAPI devices
> > would be considered as really old SCSI devices. Am I right?
>
> Not really. Firstly, a lot of ATAPI devices report the correct
> compliance level and secondly, the consequence of reporting no
> compliance (level 0) is that the mid layer will be very careful to use
> the most minimal command set it can (the usual consequence of sending a
> USB device a command it doesn't understand is to have it crash).

Ok, then, what about what the standard is saying regarding the ANSI
version field? Quoting to the latest MtFuji draft (Section 17.7.1):
"The ANSI Version field shall contain a non-zero value to comply with
this version of the Specification for a SCSI logical unit or zero for
an ATAPI logical unit."

and this is exactly how we see that the logical unit is a real SCSI one
or an ATAPI one.

> However, this will have no effect for at least CDs: The sr driver is
> only interested in the MMC compliance level not the SCSI compliance
> level.

We are not using the sr driver to perform our SCSI commands, as it is
filtering which CDB is allowed and which isn't. As we have some
vendor-specific SCSI commands (like the one for changing booktype), we
are using the sg driver to be able to use them.

> > As far as I saw in libata-scsi.c there a SCSI-to-ATAPI and ATAPI-to-SCSI
> > translator that automatically transform the command sent... Am I also
> > right on this point?
>
> The former only, I believe.

Absolutly... but if the inquiry data buffer gets modified by the
midlayer, after that I am not able anymore to setup correctly the
commands for the _real_ interface. (once again, the blank command
example).

Mathieu