Re: is the inode an orphan?

From: Artem Bityutskiy
Date: Fri Oct 19 2007 - 03:08:17 EST

Al Viro wrote:
Define orphan. It might very well be still opened after the only link
to it had been removed and you still will get IO on it.

Well, in the mail I called files like open/unlink the last link/do some I/O orphans. Let me shortly describe the problem I'm trying to solve.

In our FS when we're in ->unlink() and i_nlink becomes 0, we have to record this inode in the table of orphans, and remove it from there in ->delete_inode(). This is needed to be able to dispose of orphans in case of an unclean reboot on the next mount. AFAIK, ext3 has something similar. I just figured that this could be optimized - in most cases ->delete_inode() is called right after ->unlink(), and I wanted to avoid putting the inode to the orphan table in those cases.

I.e., if one just does "unlink file", then it is not going to be an orphan. And most cases are like this. It is rather rare to open a file, unlink it, and keep utilizing it.

So my question was - while I'm in ->unlink(), how do I figure out that this is not an orphan. So I was thinking about

if (atomic_read(&inode->i_count) == 2)

then this is not an orphan and ->delete_inode() will be called straight away (i_nlink is assumed to be 0).

But I've now also figured that ->unlink() may race with write-back, and there might be a write-back I/O between ->unlink() (and during it) and ->delete_inode(), even though the user-space does not have the file in question opened.

So, at the moment, AFAIU

if (atomic_read(&inode->i_count) == 2 && !(inode->i_state & I_DIRTY))

then there won't be any I/O on the inode between ->unlink() and ->delete_inode i_nlink is assumed to be 0). Is that right, safe and acceptable to use such checks in ->unlink() for optimization?

P.S. the code and short description of the FS I refer is here: http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubifs.html

Thanks!

--
Best Regards,