Re: OOM killer gripe (was Re: What still uses the block layer?)

From: Rogier Wolff
Date: Fri Oct 19 2007 - 03:22:03 EST

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 01:49:31AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Thursday 18 October 2007 8:00:49 am Rogier Wolff wrote:
> > So... IMHO, it would be useful to implement something that pages out
> > chunks of memory larger than a single hardware page. This would reduce
> > the size of the memory management tables (*), as well as improve disk
> > throughput if things DO come to paging....
>
> I believe that was more or less the topic of this paper:
> http://kernel.org/doc/ols/2006/ols2006v2-pages-73-78.pdf

Not really. They are talking about doing this for the page
cache. That's where filesystem files are cached in memory. I'm talking
about the memory that programs use while they are running.

Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@xxxxxxxxxxxx ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
** Delftechpark 26 2628 XH Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233 **