Re: PROBLEM: 2.6.23.1 Freezes on GB data transfers

From: Mark Lord
Date: Fri Oct 19 2007 - 12:30:40 EST

Ray Lee wrote:
On 10/17/07, Giangiacomo Mariotti <gg.mariotti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Linux Kernel 2.6.23.1 freezes on GB data transfers.

Pc completely freezed while transferring 4Gb of data from
dvd(/dev/hdc) to hd(nothing else was happening, cpu general usage at
5-6%).Except for this,it has been working flawlessly for 1 day,but
when I tried to transfer 4Gb of data from the dvd to the hd,after
having completed 60% of the transfer, the system became completely
freezed,no keyboard,no mouse,no consoles,nothing, and the Caps Lock
LED started to blink.

The blinking Caps lock LED means that your system is Oopsing. Please
try your test again from a console (not from X), and see if an oops
message is printed out. If it is, you'll need to either copy it down
or take a photograph of it with a digital camera, then post the text
of it or post a link to the image.

I believe this is now the forth report of blinking-leds lockup with 2.6.23.1.

I wonder what's causing it?
My system has this as well, totally random, once every day or so.
New behaviour since 2.6.23-rc9 (I posted previously about this).

Cheers