Re: LSM conversion to static interface

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Date: Fri Oct 19 2007 - 16:25:03 EST

On Thursday 18 October 2007 04:18, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Thomas Fricaccia wrote:
> >
> > But then I noticed that, while the LSM would remain in existence, it was
> > being closed to out-of-tree security frameworks. Yikes! Since then,
> > I've been following the rush to put SMACK, TOMOYO and AppArmor
> > "in-tree".
>
> Yeah, it did come up. Andrew, when he sent it on to me, said that the SuSE
> people were ok with it (AppArmor), but I'm with you - I applied it, but
> I'm also perfectly willing to unapply it if there actually are valid
> out-of-tree users that people push for not merging.

The patch doesn't hurt AppArmor, but it's still a step in the wrong direction.

Quoting from commit 20510f2f (Convert LSM into a static interface):
> In a nutshell, there is no safe way to unload an LSM. The modular interface
> is thus unecessary and broken infrastructure. It is used only by
> out-of-tree modules, which are often binary-only, illegal, abusive of the
> API and dangerous, e.g. silently re-vectoring SELinux.

This is idiotic. Just because there is no safe way to unload SELinux

- doesn't mean there is no safe way to unload other LSMs: if nothing
but that, unloading is handy during development.

- doesn't mean that module *loading* is unsafe. The patch removes module

LSM can be abused ... so what, this doesn't mean the interface is bad. Non-LSM
loadable modules have been known to do lots of bad things, and yet nobody
made them non-loadable either (yet).

> [...]
> For example, I do kind of see the point that a "real" security model might
> want to be compiled-in, and not something you override from a module.

Non-trivial modules (i.e., practically everything beyond capabilities) become
effective only after loading policy, anyway. If you can load policy, you can
as well first load a security module without making the system insecure.

Thanks,
Andreas