Re: [uml-devel] User Mode Linux still doesn't build in2.6.23-final.

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Oct 23 2007 - 11:13:47 EST

* Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Well you're asking for the ugly hacks for out of tree code. [...]
> >
> > nice word-bending there. I'm asking for pre-existing annotations to
> > survive.
>
> What I'm objecting to is that you ask for this for your out of tree
> code without any justification on why exactly -- -pg should in theory
> work with -mregparms.

last i checked it didnt work - i'll re-check that.

but even taking the latency tracer completely out of the picture,
maintaining this information is useful - at least for some time.

> It's standard policy to require very good reasons for changes that are
> only useful for out of tree code. [...]

it's not just for out of tree code - it's to keep the information of the
calling convention maintained - we could need it in the future.

> Is it just because you didn't want to adapt the tracer for i386
> regparm? [...]

uhm, thank you for such accusations and personal attacks :-( How did i
deserve that?

Ingo