Re: Linux Security *Module* Framework (Was: LSM conversion to staticinterface)

From: Simon Arlott
Date: Wed Oct 24 2007 - 14:59:42 EST

On 24/10/07 19:51, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Oct 24 2007 19:11, Simon Arlott wrote:
>>
>>* (I've got a list of access rules which are scanned in order until one of
>>them matches, and an array of one bit for every port for per-port default
>>allow/deny - although the latter could be removed.
>>http://svn.lp0.eu/simon/portac/trunk/)
>
> Besides the 'feature' of inhibiting port binding,
> is not this task of blocking connections something for a firewall?

The firewall blocks incoming connections where appropriate, yes, but it
doesn't stop one user binding to a port that another user expected to be able
to use. "Ownership" of ports (1-1023) shouldn't be something only root (via
CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE) has. Lots of services also don't have standard ports
below 1024 and it's useful to be able to prevent users from binding to them
too.

--
Simon Arlott