Re: IRQ off latency of printk is very high

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Thu Oct 25 2007 - 18:28:27 EST

* Tim Bird (tim.bird@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> I've been looking at 'IRQ off' latency in the Linux kernel, on
> version 2.6.22 for target using an ARM processor.
> I use a serial console, at 115200 bps.
>
> I've noticed that calls to printk disable interrupts for
> excessively long times. I have a long test printk of
> over 200 chars, that holds interrupts off for 24 milliseconds.

Hi Tim,

It might help to read this thread I posted on LKML in January 2006
explaining the problem, which led to some discussion about the issue.

http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/6/3/48

Using the LTTng tracer, I got the exact instruction responsible for
disabling interrupts for so long. It is explained in my presentation
referred to by the same email.

Mathieu