Re: history of extratext sections?

From: Robin Getz
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 05:56:34 EST

On Wed 24 Oct 2007 08:36, Robin Getz pondered:
> Paul:
>
> I noticed that when passing a zero address to kallsyms_lookup(), the
> kernel thought it was a valid kernel address, even if it was not for the
> specific architecture it was running on.
>
> This was because is_kernel_extratext() was checking against labels that
> don't exist on many archs. Since PPC is the only kernel which defines
> _extra_text, (which doesn't seem to be used anymore?) there are three options:
> - make the check dependant on PPC
> - make the check dependant on extratext being populated
> - remove _extra_text support from:
> linux-2.6.x/arch/ppc/kernel/vmlinux.lds.S
> linux-2.6.x/include/asm-generic/sections.h
> linux-2.6.x/kernel/kallsyms.c
> linux-2.6.x/scripts/kallsyms.c
>
> Since I don't know the history on that label I thought I would ask
> (since PPC seem to be the only arch using it) before I sent a patch.

OK, it looks like:

David Woodhouse added this functionality 5 May 2005:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=075d6eb16d273dab7b7b4b83fcee8bce4ee387ed

and then Jon Loeliger removed everything in this section 17 Sep 2005
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=6c45ab992e4299c869fb26427944a8f8ea177024

David/Jon:

Is this section still used on PPC, or can the entire support for extratext be removed?

Thanks